- Stern MBA students are eligible for TF and GF positions.
- To be eligible, they must:
- have completed at least 9 credits at Stern as a MBA student
- be enrolled in the semester of appointment
- have a GPA of at least 3.0
- have taken the course or its equivalent (for TFs)
- NOTE: To be eligible for a Winter Intersession position, you must meet the standard criteria listed above for the Spring term. (For example, to hold a Winter 2007 position, you must be enrolled in an MBA course during the Spring 2007 semester, etc.)
- Scroll down for additional restrictions for international students under the heading "International Students".
- Departments and professors may have their own additional criteria.
- Faculty members and administrative staff are responsible for the quality of the students they hire and oversight for the quality of their work.
- The payment for a full TF or GF position is a financial aid award of $3,600 in tuition remission. The payment for a half TF or GF position is $1,800 in tuition remission.
- Half courses (2-credit undergraduate and 1.5-credit graduate) will be prorated accordingly: $1,800 for a full position and $900 for a half position.
- Please note that compensation is based on course enrollment and number of credits. You should verify payment with the department administrative coordinator. For more details, review the Instructions to Faculty and Administrators.
- IMPORTANT: Loan eligibility may be affected when you secure a TF/GF position. As these funds are considered tuition remission, Financial Aid will simply reduce the amount of loans you will need to repay. For more information, please click here or contact the Stern Financial Aid Office at (212) 998-0790.
- Students may not make independent arrangements for additional compensation to tutor students in the class to which they are assigned as a TF.
- For more information, please see the Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) for Students.
Limit on Number of Positions and Hours
- A student can have the equivalent of more than one TF or GF position at the same time. However, there is a strict limit of 2 positions (or 20 hours per week) per semester during the academic year.
- For the Winter Intersession, there is a strict limit of 1 position (or 2 half positions). This limit does not impact the 2 position limit on the Spring semester.
- A student can be a TF/GF and a Grader at the same time.
- However, a student cannot:
- make independent arrangements for compensation to tutor students in the class to which they are assigned as a TF.
- be a TF/GF and a Grader for the same class at the same time.
- be a TF/GF and a Tutor at the same time.
- be a TF for a course in which she or he is also enrolled as a student.
- get course credit for a class in which she or he is the TF.
- NYU employees are not allowed to be TFs, GFs, Graders, or Tutors.
- International students cannot work more than 20 hours per week, particularly if signing up for more than one course and/or in combination with any other on-campus position.
- An H-1B visa holder cannot work for anyone other than the organization sponsoring his/her visa.
- For more information regarding ineligibility for recently graduated international students please click here.
- Please contact the Office of International Students and Scholars for more information.
- Ph.D. students cannot be TF/GFs as described above.
- Ph.D. students are no longer allowed to participate in the Teaching/Graduate Fellowship program.
- Ph.D. students should consult the Doctoral Office for more information.