NYU Stern
Course RegistrationCourse InfoGraduation InfoOnline ServicesDownload FormsAcademic CalendarsPolicies and ProceduresFrequently Asked Questions

Access to Student Records

Q: How can I obtain my student records (GMAT scores, resume, admission essays, etc)?
A: Documents submitted as part of the admissions application process are considered the School’s property. They are submitted for the specific purpose of your admission, and copies will not be returned or released to third parties.


Biographical Information

Q: How can I update my personal information online?
A: You may update your personal information by going to the online services section of our website and selecting Update Bio under the Personal Info heading. Here is a list of options you are allowed to update:

  • Address
  • Emergency contact information
  • Cell phone number
  • Employer information
  • Phone number
  • Expected Graduation Date

Q: How do I change my name on the NYU/Stern system and my student record?
A: You need to complete the “Affidavit of Change of Name” form, available at our office, or on our website here. You must either have the form notarized by a Notary Public or provide to our office a copy of official documentation (marriage license, legal change-of-name form, etc.) to verify your new name. Return these documents to the Office of Records and Registration and we will update your records.

Q: Can I use a nickname for my official Stern record?
A: It is NYU/Stern policy to record and display only your official name. . If you wish to use an alternate name from the one used at the time of admission, you must provide us with legal documentation (a notarized form or other legal name-change document) that supports your alternate name.

Q: How do I update my Social Security number?
A: Complete a “Request to Add Social Security Number” form available at our office or on our website here. Provide to our office a copy of your Social Security card along with this form. Return it to Records & Registration and we will process the update.

Q: What should I do if my immunization records are “not in compliance?”
A: This means the NYU Student Health Center does not have your immunization records on file. Please visit the Student Health Center Immunization Records Services at 726 Broadway (at Waverly Place), 3rd Floor -- or call them at (212) 443-1199 to find out the procedure for updating your immunization records.


Course Faculty Evaluations (CFE's)

Q: How do I complete a Course Faculty Evaluation (CFE)?
A: Course Faculty Evaluations are administered at the end of each course. Students will receive two emails informing them of the CFE policy, timeline and how to complete the CFE online. Students must pay careful attention to the deadlines of each individual CFE, as students will not be permitted to fill out an evaluation after the deadline has passed. All students must fill out a Course Faculty Evaluation for each course for which they are registered. The responses to all online evaluations are completely anonymous and confidential.

Q: What happens if I do not complete a Course Faculty Evaluation?
A: If you did not submit a CFE for a class, your grade for that class will be held for 30 days.  Unfortunately, once you miss the deadline, you will not be able to submit the CFE for that class.

Q: I was unable to fill out the CFE for one of my classes and the deadline has passed, may I still complete it?
A: Unfortunately, it is not possible to submit or access an evaluation after the end date.  At this point, your grade for the course will not be released for 30 days from the end date of the evaluation period.

Q: I am trying to fill out my CFE for one of my classes, but I can’t find the professor or class?
A: Please make sure you are clicking on the correct term. If you are trying to fill out a CFE for Managing Investment Funds, B55.3320, please click on the term in which you are registered for this course. Please try it again and if you are still having difficulties, please contact us.

Q: I mistakenly submitted the CFE for one of my classes before I completely filled it out. May I re-submit the CFE again?
A: Unfortunately, it is not possible for students to redo their evaluations.  Since the CFE responses are anonymous, the system is not able to track the evaluation that you had submitted earlier.



Q: As a Stern Graduate Student, how do I register for a course(s) outside of Stern?
A: Please see the Academic Affairs website for information on registering for courses at other NYU divisions.

Q: As a Non-Stern student, how do I register for courses at the Stern Graduate Division?
A: Please see your academic advisor at your school and s/he will complete for you a “Cross Registration” form. You can also see the cross-registration page on our website for more information on registering for Stern Graduate courses.

Q: I received the call number and access from Stern after submitting my cross-registration request, but the class is showing as “closed” on Albert.  Please assist.
A: You have to go to Student Services at 25 West 4th Street to register in person.

Q: As a Non-Stern student, how do I activate my account at Stern to view Blackboard for the course(s) I am registered in?
A: Please activate your Stern Graduate account on Stern’s Account Activation page.


Grade Reports

Q: When and how will I get my semester grade report?
A: You can generate an official semester grade report either  for company reimbursement purposes or personal use by logging in at https://ais.stern.nyu.edu. After logging in, look for Program Progress (under the LINKS column) then click on Grade Report and select the relevant semester from the drop down box.

Q: Not all of my grades are not in yet, but I need a grade report for one of my classes  -- can I  print a grade report for just one completed course?
A: Yes. The grade report you print on-line will show all grades you have received up until that point.

Q: When I try to view and print my online Grade Report the following message appears “Grade Report unavailable due to an immunization hold on your account.” What does  this mean, and how can I resolve this issue and get my Grade Report?
A: All NYU students are required to provide a record of certain immunizations to the NYU Health Center. If you have received this message it means that the Health Center does not have a complete record of your immunizations, and that a hold has been put on releasing your grades until your are in compliance with this requirement. To remove the hold, do the following:

  • Contact the NYU Health Center at (212) 998-0660 (press option #3 to be connected directly to the Immunology Services office) to verify which immunization records are missing and to arrange delivery of those records.
  • When you have verification from the Health Center that your immunization record is complete, contact the Stern Office of Records & Registration at (212) 998-0660, or registrn@stern.nyu.edu. We will verify with the Health Center that you are in compliance and clear the immunization hold from your account. You will then be able to view and print your Grade Report online.



Q: I have submitted my degree application, how do I find out my graduation status?
A: Once your records have been evaluated, you will receive a written notice informing you of your status.

Q: If I’m taking my last class during the Winter Intensives, can I apply for January graduation?
A: Winter Intensives are part of the Spring semester, and you will not be able to participate in lottery/registration unless you update your expected graduation date to May.
Q: I graduate in September or January, do I need to make special arrangements to participate in the May graduation ceremony?
A: As a September or January graduate, you will automatically receive an invitation to the commencement ceremonies held the following May.

Q: How can I confirm if my degree application was received?
A: You can refer to the Remaining Requirement page. Your degree application submission status will be automatically updated once it has been processed.

Q: How will my name appear on the diploma?  I notice the transcript has the last name, first name format.
A: Unlike the transcript, the diploma will display your name in the standard format, first name middle name  last name.

Q: Will all records show my diploma name?
A: Yes, the name you request to appear on the diploma will be displayed on all your academic records.

Q: When will I receive my diploma?
A: Diplomas are mailed out by the Central NYU Registrar about 8 weeks after your official graduation date to the permanent address on record.
Q: I need a replacement diploma, how do I obtain one?
A: In the event your diploma is lost or damaged, please contact the University Registrar at the address below. The University will supply a replacement diploma, upon proper deposition and the payment of a fee to cover the cost. Before issuing the replacement, however, you will be required to return the damaged diploma, or such portions of it as are available; or, in the case of loss or complete destruction, a notarized affidavit stating this.

Office of the University Registrar
Graduation Services
P.O. Box 910
New York, NY 10276-0910

For additional information, please consult the University Registrar’s web site at http://www.nyu.edu/registrar/graduation/diplomas.html.



Q: Can the Office of Records & Registration provide a letter verifying my enrollment status or related student information, as needed?
A: Yes, our office processes student requests for letters. To request a letter visit our office and complete the “Letter Request” form, or submit a request (current students only) on-line here. We commonly receive requests for letters regarding:

  • Enrollment verification
  • Expected graduation date
  • Graduation
  • Opening a Bank Account
  • Degree requirement completion
  • Excuse from Jury Duty

Q: What’s the difference between a “degree requirement completion” letter and “graduation” letter?
A:  A degree requirement completion letter confirms that you have completed all degree requirements.  This letter is processed prior to the actual degree conferral date.  A graduation letter confirms your graduation date.

Q: My family needs to obtain a visa to the US in order to attend the graduation ceremony.  Can I request such a letter?
A: Yes.  Simply fill out the letter request form and indicate your family members’ names and their relation to you.  We will process the letter within 2-3 business days.



Q: What is a Lottery?
A: Because for some popular classes there is more demand than seats available, class assignments will be done by a weighted lottery system. This system will take into consideration the program and expected date of graduation of each student and in some cases the student’s specialization(s). The weighted lottery system will give all students with the same graduation date an equal chance of getting into the classes they choose.

Q: I’ve been approved to take the Michael Price Investment Fund course. Can I submit it as one of my lottery selections?
A: You should not put that class as one of your selections. You should come to the Office of Records and Registration in person during the add/drop period and we will manually register you for that class.  Please make sure to obtain a credit overload from the Advising Office if necessary.

Q: Where can I go if I need assistance in prioritizing my lottery selection?  I want to know how many students are allowed in certain popular classes.
A: You can view our lottery hints.

Q: I am in the Langone Weekend Program. Can I register for weeknight classes?
A: Yes, you can register for weeknight classes during the Add/Drop period.

Q: I am in the Langone Westchester Program. Can I register for Washington Square classes?
A: Yes, you can register for Washington Square classes during the Add/Drop period.

Q: I’m graduating this term. When and how can I register for a “free course”?
A: All Langone students and full-time MBAs who need credit override need to obtain permission from the Advising Office before you can register for the free class.  Once approved, you can register for the class during the add/drop period on the date specified.  Please note that the free class must be taken in the semester in which you complete your 60 credit requirement and must be taken in conjunction with other course work needed to complete the 60 credit requirement.

Q: Can I audit a course?
A: Yes. For information regarding Auditing Courses, please see the Academic Affairs website.

Note: Full tuition and fees apply, and audited classes do not count toward the required degree program credits.  Winter module, Late Summer module, and free courses cannot be audited. Auditor status cannot be revoked once it has been requested.  An audited class cannot be taken again for credit and a grade.

Q: How do I request a credit overload?
A: Please see your advising department in reference to this.

Q: How would I find out if the class I registered for counts toward a certain specialization?
A: You can find the list of specializations and the corresponding classes here. You can also contact the appropriate Advising Office if you have any further questions.


Room Assignments

Q: How can I find the location of my classes?
A: Classroom assignments for your courses are listed on the combination schedule/Bursar receipts mailed to you after you have registered. In addition you can find a listing of classroom assignments on our website here. Furthermore, at the beginning of the semester, classroom assignments will be posted by the elevators in the Kaufman Management Center building and Shimkin Hall, as well as the Records & Registration office bulletin board on the 6th floor of the Kaufman Management Center.



Q: How can I order a copy of my transcript?
A: Complete a “Transcript Request” form available at our office, or on our website here. Return it to the Office of Records & Registration and we will order your transcript. Please allow 2-3 business days to process your request. If you do not have access to this form, you may fax (212-995-4424) or mail a transcript request to our office – please include the following information: your name, student ID number, date of birth, the degree you earned at Stern, your years of attendance, the number of copies of the transcript you would like, the address we should send the transcripts to, and your signature.

Q: How many transcripts can I request?
A: You may order up to 10 transcripts at one time.

Q: How much does it cost to order a transcript?
A: There is no charge for transcripts.

Q: Can I have a transcript faxed or e-mailed to me?
A: No. Since transcripts contain sensitive personal information, we do not send them by electronic means. We will mail transcripts to you, or hold them for pick-up at our office.

Q: If I request an unofficial transcript, will it be ready faster than an official transcript?
A: Both official and unofficial transcripts will take 2-4 business days to process.

Q: I need my transcripts sent to another institution and there is a form that needs to be sent along with the transcripts, will you be able to process the request?
A: When you submit the transcript request, please indicate any special instructions on the form and we will send the necessary documents along with the transcript to the appropriate institution.


Wait Lists

Q: Is the wait list administered on a first-come first-served basis? 
A: Wait lists are not evaluated on a first-come, first-served basis. A variety of criteria are evaluated when deciding your wait list position, including: your expected graduation date; number of credits you have earned so far; whether or not you had selected the course in the lottery; your special comments, etc.

Q: How will I know if I get into the course?
A: If a seat becomes available to you in a course for which you have waitlisted, our office will send you an e-mail. Respond to the e-mail with the information requested, by the deadline indicated, and our staff will register you for the course. Depending on when a course seat opens, you can be contacted anytime up until the last add date for the course. If a seat does not open for you in a course, you will not be e-mailed. 

Q: How does a seat in a course “open up?”
A: A seat in a course opens when a registered student drops the course.

Q: Am I guaranteed a spot in a course if I sign up on the wait-list?
A: No. We do our best to get as many wait-listed students into a course as possible, but signing up for the wait-list does not guarantee that a seat will open for you.

Q: I removed myself from the waitlist, however, I wish to put my name back on, but the system does not allow me to. What should I do?
A: Please e-mail the Office of Records & Registration at registrn@stern.nyu.edu and we will be more than glad to add your name back to the waitlist.