Stern's Physical Evolution

Our Campus History

1900
The NYU School of Commerce, Accounts and Finance for undergraduate students is founded. It is located on the University's Washington Square campus in the upper floors of the American Book Co. building, now NYU's Main Building and part of the Silver Center.

1926
NYU's School of Commerce, Accounts and Finance moves to the historic loft building at the corner of Washington Square East and West Fourth Street, now named Shimkin Hall, in honor of Leon Shimkin of Simon and Schuster.

1960
Newly built for NYU's Graduate School of Business Administration, Nichols Hall, located downtown on Trinity Place, is named for C. Walter Nichols, Chairman of the Board of Nichols Engineering and Research Corp.

1972
Tisch Hall, made possible by the generosity of the Tisch Family and designed by architect Philip Johnson, opens its doors, creating the Undergraduate College's modern-day home.

1975
The completion of Merrill Hall, named for Charles Merrill, an original founder of Merrill Lynch, makes possible the expansion of the full-time MBA program.

1988
The School's naming gift from Leonard Stern enables the graduate program to move uptown from Trinity Place, unifying our campus at Washington Square.

1992
Stern's new state-of-the-art management education center is inaugurated.

1998
The newest facility, which joined Shimkin and Tisch Halls, is named the Henry Kaufman Management Center to recognize the service and generosity of Chairman Emeritus Henry Kaufman.

2008
Construction begins on the Concourse Project, the most significant renovation of Stern's facilities since uniting the School's programs at Washington Square.

NYU Stern's Concourse Project is all about connecting.

  • Connecting our buildings.
  • Connecting our community.
  • Connecting our campus to
    New York City and the world.

Join us in building a new Stern for tomorrow's leaders.